Sunday, August 9, 2009

Love the Road

  For the last two years I've had a BMW GS Adventure and taken some great trips. I got hooked when my friend Gary and I watched Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman's Long Way Round. If you haven't seen it, watch it. You'll want to quit your job and travel the world or your own back yard on a motorcycle. To feed the addiction while not out on the bike we would read books by Ted Simon and Neal Peart who have done some amazing travels on their motorcycles. Adventurerider.com is also a great way to waist some time by reading up on ride reports and tech info from other adventurers from around the world. 
   Not too much longer after seeing Long Way Round, Gary and I bought our own Beemers. I've done some small trips but nothing over a week. This year I've been planning a much longer trip taking every chance to get off the beaten path. Living in Southern California and having a sister living in Missoula a route started to appear. Some of the best parks are along the way. Zion, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, etc. Then a friend of mine mentioned Burning Man. For the time of year I was planning this trip I though, what the heck, I could swing by on my way home from Missoula. 
    So for the last few months I've been going through my lists to figure out what I need and don't need to take for this trip and route planning. Routes can be tough, especially when you're looking at riding dirt roads. With camping on top of this that means I need to take that much more gear. Light weight backpacking gear is the best bet for this. So lately my wonderful wife has been putting up with me putting in a fair amount of free time planning this trip. To top things off we plan to meet up at Burning Man toward the end of my trip. As it stands the trip should take around 16 or 17 days. So to be able to see my wife mid trip will be a great thing to look forward to. 
    It's getting down to the final weeks before I set off so I decided to start this blog and show the prep as well as post updates durning my trip. I hope you enjoy it and it inspires you to set off on an adventure yourself. 

2 comments:

  1. Hooray, you finally got a blog! I'll be looking forward to reading your progress up to MT. Love the first pic. That seems totally appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate the skate and the Art of BMW Maintenance!
    Kudos to you Indian Spirit of Flight and Adventure. I will see you at BM (Black Rock City). I will be "working" as an Ice Slinger at Ice 9 if we get lost. You gotta see my "ART" bike (dotsie's old cruiser with a BM Makeover)...Live Free or Die. HoverHawk. David worthy10@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

Followers