Saturday, September 19, 2009

More Gear that makes the adventure a little easier

So what's the best piece of equipment for the trip. The motorcycle! Really just about any will do just as long as you get out there. My saying for this trip and will most likely keep it is from Aerostitch. "The Road to Enlightenment is better on a BIke".  

Photobucket


 Just get out and explore! I love my baby. It got me into some very remote areas and now I really see how far this bike can take me. The range, suspension, and wheels all helped in the trip. The reliability is amazing. Even with laying it down a few times and rattling a few things loose it just kept rolling along like nothing happened. 


  The TKC 80 tires were incredible both on the road and off. Sure the knobbies don't hook up on the street like a road tire but once I got used to the difference in handling I could roll the twisty roads with a huge full load while grinning from ear to ear. After I got to Boise and a little over 2000 miles I figured with the dirt roads I still wanted to hit I needed more rubber on the rear tire. It didn't need to be switched out but I just didn't want to chance anything. 


Photobucket


   The Hepco Becker Aluminum cases are rock solid. And I mean SOLID. When hitting the deck the bags took it straight on the nose and you can't even see the mark. At speed they usually eject straight off the back but don't break anything other than maybe the lock. That's an easy fix with one or two zip ties. Zip ties are a must on any trip in my mind. I did have a bag fall off at 25mph when a cheep zip tie didn't want to work any more. The bag took quite the tumble and a few things did cover the road but nothing was hurt and when putting the bag back on I used a few extra ties. I never had issues again. 


Photobucket



 661 Body Armor was also cheap insurance to have. It breaths very well and is very easy to move in. Hold up to some pretty good hits. Now I'm looking forward to getting out on the motocross bike with this stuff. I also use their EVO shorts and knee pads and half the time forgot they were even there. Worth the extra cash for sure. 


Photobucket



 Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 Jacket was just about the best all around jacket I could ask for. From 115 in Palm Springs, which was uncomfortable yes but that would be even with nothing on, to 28 in Wyoming I was pretty happy to have this jacket. Even taking a few hits on the arm and shoulder you couldn't even see the scrape like it never happened. The Alter Ego pants were the the perfect compliment to the jacket. 


Photobucket


 When the sun is out or the speeds are low and the visor is up a great pair of shades is very nice to have. My Threshold Sliders were perfect. Fitting in the XD Helmet and very comfortable with perfect clarity. Also the lenses are interchangeable with yellow, amber or clear so if you know what the weather will be for the day you can be all set with the right optics. 



I feel very fortunate to have all the gear I did for this trip and looking forward to more in the coming years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers