Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Some of the greatest people ot here

We’ll I must say that I was very sad to leave Missoula. I know I will be back either by bike or plane. It was a fairly cool morning. I started out Monday morning with just my riding jacket and pants on. After a few miles from turning onto Hwy 12 I thought it would be smart to bundle up and get the heated jacket going. I’ve gotta be comfortable right!?

Photobucket

Photobucket

After just a few miles I couldn’t believe that this would be my view for the next 100 miles or more. It was! I thought I should take more photos but they would all look the same, lol!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I did hit a fair amout of traffic but not because of the cars. There was a ton of construction going on but that was ok because it gave me time to take a break and look around in one spot for a while. I knew there would be more stops and being the last in the line I just took my time and then would catch everyone at the next stopping point.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was actually happy by the end of Hwy 12 to be off it. Amazing the whole time but a bit tired and very hungry. I couldn’t believe how much different Idaho looked than Montana.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I stopped in Grangeville for a bite. Wonderful people and ok food at the Bistro.

Photobucket

Photobucket

From there I rolled on down to Riggins and headed up to French Creek.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Once I crossed this bridge I was pretty committed to going all the way up to Burgdorf Ghost Town that has some amazing hot spring pool that was made back in the 1800’s!
There was a great fellow who gave me some feedback on the road conditions up there. He was putting down some new gravel ( which I hate and can’t stand going through new graded deep stuff with a loaded down bike). He gave me a look over and thought maybe. “A guy in on a Goldwing tried it and dumped his, but it didn’t look like he had been on his bike much”. After a chat with him I was pretty sure the road would be fine. There were some great houses tucked back there but the gravel was killing me and had to take it pretty slow. Once past the houses the gravel ended and the road was a little rougher but dirt. The bike felt right at home. The switchbacks all the way up took a while and I couldn’t believe they had built them. It was incredible to say the least.

Photobucket

I really couldn’t get a great shot of them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Then I camp up on the Magic Bus. I’d seen it posted before but now got to see it for myself. I was stoked to be out so far and to have found it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After getting to Wagon Rd. the conditions were great and I was able to get some miles under my belt all the way to Burgdorf.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was here where I would be able to take a proper rest and brake from the bike. It was wonderful. The pool is about 100deg and the spa about 120. The spa was too much for me so I just relaxed in the pool. It comes from a natural spring and the bottom is just pea gravel. I highly recommend stopping here and going in for a soak.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I took my time getting washed off and back on the bike. I planned on either staying at Upper Payette Lake or McCall if the camp was just so so. Upper Payette Lake is wonderful! Another recommendation is to stay here. The camp hosts are some of the best ever and even hooked me up with firewood.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Right as I pulled into my spot that was right on the lake the people next to me asked where I was from, how long I’d been riding that day and if I would like some food. Well how could I pass that up! The are a wonderful family from Emmet and Phoenix. Cute little boy that asked about everything and was on his first of hopefully many camping trips. That’s for the food and company!

Photobucket

Photobucket

The camp has these great water pumps

Photobucket

Funny what being out in the wilderness lets you think about. I sure missed my wife who was looking at the same moon I was just a little ways away at Burning Man. I hope to never take my family and friends for granted.

Photobucket



The next morning I hit the road and was off to Boise to get a new rear tire and meet up with my buddy Pete

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Big Twin hooked me up and got me going. The mechanic was one cool cat who did me a solid and looked over the entire bike. We talked over the whole thing and he said I was good to go. Guys like these are a God send and worth their weight in gold.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Pete met me there and then we took off to his place to get ready for a good cyclocross ride. It was a small one but some of the best ‘Cross trails I’ve been on in a while. Thanks Pete!


Photobucket


So tomorrow I will be off to Oregon and Nevada. Camp and then set off for Burning Man. If I did a big mile push I could get there tomorrow but my body it just not feeling it. My upper body especially is tapped so I’m not quite pulling the dirt roads I had planned. Lucky for me everything as been wonderful no matter what.

Not sure if I’ll be able to post anything from the Playa but I’ll either post something from there or hopefully next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers